Wednesday, June 6, 2007

How do you manage your passwords?

or when will come a standard to manage identities?

I have this simple application on my palm to manage accounts ( http://gnukeyring.sf.net ) it is nice and it works. Then i have some of my passwords under the management of Firefox. For my personal homepage is it possible to access to restricted areas only be a certificate (ooppps ... expired). My server accept only ssh certificates. For Email I have some S/MIME certificate of www.trustcenter.de.
And i am sure i have forgotten something.

Mmmm oh yes once i tried CardSpace from Microsoft and I have to "cool" toke from PayPal :)

So where is the open and free Singel Sign On (SSO) solution? Or will we ever reach such a level?
Google has it's own system, MS has one. Yahoo another one. There a several open source solutions out there. Well to may cooks ....

My dream is, I have a card with a certificate and all my important information were I can log in, at all my accounts form my bank up to this blog and even for login on all my computers or other systems. No collection and manage of password and account ID's (how often was stevez already used by somebody else).

Well at least in Germany to upcoming password will support parts of this scenario, but i expert it will take several years (or longer?) as long we have word wide standard. I am pretty sure a technical solution already, but politics is the problem (not only for countries, I mean company politics).

No comments: